Wednesday 29 October 2008

Getting the best from planning

I was asked today 'how can an agency get the best out of planning'?

I obviously have my own views but I thought I would canvass the opinions of others so asked a couple of creative directors, a number of other planners I know and our new business director.

People had various views but it all came down to three or four key areas:
  • Involve them early - easy if it is an account they are working on but sometimes is forgotten when a new opportunity walks in the door. I would concur with this and let's face it there is nothing worse than getting a brief second hand or so late that the Account Team can't go back with further questions.

  • Give them time - finding that insight or inspiration for a new positioning or strategy requires research, understanding and thinking. I.e. It takes time.

  • Let them focus - don't ask someone to be the voice of the customer; to understand the client's business, market and competition better than they do; to be the brand guardian within the agency ... and then ask them to do that across 10 brands!
So for many agencies (who use planning as a new business tool or on just a few lead accounts) that means a simple truth ... give the planners you have the time and focus they need and if that means that you need to increase the number of planners you have then do it .... and in doing so make decisions about which clients really need, want and deserve that level of strategic engagement.




No comments: